Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Bristol Renaissance Faire

BRISTOL RENASISANCE FAIRE JULY 14, 2012

Saturday, July the 14th, saw the CTCC drive up north to Bristol, Wisconsin, to the Bristol Renaissance Faire. We met at the Lake Forest oasis before heading up to the Faire. We met several people there, including Joel and Annie. My brother and I were in my Grandpa's Thunderbird. There were several Thunderbirds in the procession or at least it appeared so to me; I am not used to seeing five or more classic Thunderbirds lined up in a row! At any rate, more Thunderbirds joined us as we made our way toward Bristol. Once we arrived, we were greeted by two guides handing out maps (in a competitive fashion - always funny!). We then entered the Faire.


My Grandpa, my brother and I were quickly drawn to the different shops and displays they had. I was surprised at the amount of detail the costumes had as well as the number of people dressed in them. From real chain mail to the elaborate bard costumes, they were extravagant, to say the least. They also spoke with an English accent and with fervor, which made them all seem almost as if they were from 16th century England. One of the highlights was watching a man melt glass and make figurines. They were incredibly detailed, and the process was fascinating.

We soon stopped at a show. A gypsy juggled flaming batons, knives, and hats, which was interesting to watch. Another show had a tight-rope walker; a different show had acrobats, who performed acts which looked as if they would kill themselves. And of course there was the Mud Show, in which the "beggars" dragged themselves through a mud pit. All of the shows were laced with witty humor. For much of the day we watched as the actors humiliated themselves, balanced themselves precariously upon each other, or ate mud!

We bought a few souvenirs. My brother and I each bought a wooden sword, dagger and shield to spar with - Mom was thrilled. They had many other things for sale as well as costumes for rent. The food there was good. I had a gyro, with several toppings I usually don't have, but it tasted good. My brother had curly fries with cheese that were very good as well. My Grandpa had a brat that I can only assume was good.

Overall, we had a great time. It is hard to ask for much more from a Renaissance Faire! Thanks, Grandpa, for taking us!

Lucas and Nick Peterson


Members who were present included Tom and Judy Bruin, Len and Mary Keil, Larry and Karen Kelly, Pete Kramer, Annie Luginbill and Joel Greenberg, Jerry Peterson (with authors Lucas and Nick), Ken Smizinski, Doug and Soon Rogers (with nephew David), and Bob and Sue Wenderski. (Gordon Gluff came later but was not part of 'the procession.')

No comments: