Monday, December 3, 2007

Snow Bird

INSPIRED BY THE COVER PHOTO ON THE NOV./DEC. ISSUE OF EARLY BIRD, I offer the above view of my original '57 as a reminder of things to come. True, we no longer drive our classic T-Birds during the winter when roads in the Midwest are salt-laden. It was a different story when this photo snowscape was set-up for the camera lens in 1958.

The snow-scene did provide a moment of panic standing on the icy Fox River. As I framed the 'Bird in the snow setting, my right-leg broke through the ice! Since I was positioned in deep snow, my escape was no easy task. Due to the relatively remote location that I had chosen, there was no one to help me out of my predicament! Fortunately, I was finally able to extricate myself from the icy grasp of the river.

The photo reveals what might appear to be "weak" rear-springs, however, winter driving (without winter tires) was aided via a 100lbs. steel weight placed in the trunk!

-- Ed., Bird-News

No comments: